The Harrisburg Beagle club is located on 156 acres in northern York County. Established in 1948,the club currently has 50 plus members and many amenities to help in the training of the dogs.
The grounds of the club consists of a clubhouse, dog kennel, 2 training pens, and outbuildings for storage of equipment. Our rabbit propagation program keeps the training pen full of rabbits and the club grounds has a healthy population of rabbits for expereinced dogs to run.
HISTORY Before the club was located at its current location, the founding members would run their dogs and hold trials at the State Hospital Farm on Elmerton Avenue in Harrisburg PA. The members purchased two adjoining that totaled 156 acres in northern York county. In 1947, the club was officially incorporated at the Dauphin County courthouse and certified in 1948.
To become a members in those days, one had to buy a share of stock for $25. Initiation fee was $3 and annual dues were $2. To raise money, a trial was held the second Sunday of each month. The annual AKC trial was held mid July which usually brought in 200 to 259 dogs from all over the east coast. The club has had the honor of President Johnson's dog running at the club, the president was not present.
In 1977 the original clubhouse, which was the old farmhouse burnt down. Fire insurance would not cover the cost so the club asked the members for a loan totalling $400 to build the current clubhouse.
The club has gone through many changes since then. The current goal of the club is to restore the entire club grounds to the original condition and begin to hold trials on a regular basis on the club grounds.
Content copyright . Harrisburg Beagle Club. All rights reserved.